Background

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Have FAITH in the Lord

The other day a loved one sat in my kitchen eating a giant muffin from Costco.
She said she'd have a blueberry one if I had butter, which I did.
I helped myself to a chocolate one that had been warmed in the microwave so the inside was all gooey and full of deliciousness.


With our comfort food sitting before us, we talked of deep thoughts and feelings.  It feels good to do that with a TRUSTED FRIEND now and again ... and it's much cheaper that going to a therapist!


As we sat there contemplating life, something unexpected spilled out of my friend.  She expressed how sometimes she feels the world looks upon children who have struggles in their lives, such as drugs, alcohol, violence and related problems ... and blames their behavior on bad parenting.  

Do we do this? 

Some of the most wonderful and FAITHFUL parents I know have children who have chosen to walk a different path ... at least for now.

Some would say those parents should FORSAKE their children until they change ... but that is not how parenting works ... we love our children no matter what!  We learned that trait from our Heavenly Father who never forsakes us ... who knew we wouldn't be perfect ... and loves us anyway.


As I prayerfully stared at my computer from 11:00 PM - 4:00 AM last Friday night, in preparation for the talk I was to give on Mother's Day morning, this is another lesson I learned ...


I recall a time as a young mother when 
FAITH 
came into play for me.
       
        
Dillon was probably 2 or 3 years old when he disappeared!  I was home alone at the time.  I called for him but he didn't answer.  I looked in every closet and under every bed.
He was nowhere!

I remember running outside, screaming his name ... hoping he would answer me.  I looked at the Butler's house thinking maybe he was there, for Aunt Jeri used to lure him in with promises of bananas.


But I quickly realized they were not home in fact, as I stood in the middle of the street, I realized none of my neighbors were home!  The thought came into my frantic mind ...
"Dillon is gone and I will never be able to find him."

I ran back into the house and grabbed my phone to call


As I did, I had the distinct impression to STOP AND PRAY ... one more time.  I almost dismissed the impression, for I had been praying non-stop for a SOLID HOUR in my searching for him.

But I put the phone down and prayed 
ONE MORE TIME.

Then I rose to my feet, walked in his bedroom, and looked under his bed ... AGAIN.  This time I CRAWLED under his bed and lifted up the dust ruffle, which was right up against the wall.
There I found him fast asleep.


Sometimes in life ... children are lost.

They are not under beds.
They are not merely asleep.

They are living lives
that have lead them away 
from our Heavenly Father.
      

As parents, it's hard when we call for them and they don't answer.  It's frightening when we watch the choices they are making and it's heartbreaking when the thought crosses our minds ...

"They are gone ... they'll never come back."

I have a dear friend in whom this is 
HER REALITY

She came to visit me the day Dillon left for his mission.  She brought a plate full of cookies, but not just any cookies.  She had gone from store to store, bakery to bakery, buying one or two at each location to make a plate of what she called "the best cookies in the county"!  She said I deserved them for having FAITH to let Dillon go for two years.

I wasn't feeling faithful.  She found me in quite a PATHETIC state after having said goodbye to my baby boy.  She was in no hurry to leave and her visit helped dry my tears.


Before she returned to her home, she gave me a tight squeeze and whispered in my ear these words:

"Sometimes the only thing we can do is have FAITH that Heavenly Father will watch over and care for our children!"

As our embrace ended, I saw tears in her eyes.  I knew she wasn't just talking about Dillon and his mission.  I knew she was also talking about her own children, who've not only been lost for an hour, but have been lost for many, many years.

In those whispered words, she shared with me her testimony and a most sacred truth.  In this life, which is filled with trials and hardship, FAITH IN THE LORD is the only way to find ...   

My dear friend is such an example to me in EVERY way.  She is kind and never judging of others.  She has been and still is, an EXCELLENT MOTHER, who, like Father-in-Heaven, will never give up on her children ... just as it should be.  She will forever continue to pray
ONE MORE TIME
as she puts her FAITH in the Lord.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this. Just what I need to be reminded of, thanks.