Background

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cookies not included.

When you think of Grannies, do you think of
COOKIES?

Not me...
Not with my Grandma Carrie...
She didn't do...
COOKIES.


This morning I glanced at the clock ... 8:30.
My shoulder hurt, I'll rest it some.
And at 9:00 I'll get up.

At 9:00 the phone rang.


"Krista... Grandma... "
Nothing else had to be said,
I knew.
The spirit wispered it to me last night while Jeff and Dad were giving her a blessing.


However, that whisper didn't stop me from running.
"Tyson ... Grandma... "
He followed me
and we ran to the car.



I turned, running back to grab my toothbrush.

The thought came to grab some clothing too
but my heart decided against it and I grabbed just a robe.

Robe zipped, toothbrush in hand, breaking the speed limit,
I flew to my parents home.

I heard my Sweet Mama...
CRYING.
She deserved to cry.
She has taken care of Grandma for 4 years.
She has done a good job.
She should have no regrets.


The paramedics were there
as was Uncle Dean and Aunt DeAnn.
They were calm.

Then I heard Uncle Dean quietly say,
"Let her go."
With that, the paramedics stopped.

Then came the
SWEETNESS
It's the feeling that only comes in times like these.
I have felt it a few times in my life.
I'm thankful to know where it comes from.
I'm thankful to know it will always come.

Grandma Carrie was gone.
Yet I knew she was still lingering.

I could feel her watching as
one by one
her 9 children
comforted one another.
I'll bet that made her happy.

Those 9 love each other.
They will be okay.

Then several of the 37 came.
I'm sure that made her happy too.

 
Eventually I was surrounded with those I love
most in the world.
As I looked around, I realized I owed much of my
HAPPINESS
to Grandma Carrie.

Thanks for that Grandma!


Thanks for giving birth to
NINE children,
who then gave birth to 37
of my very best friends.

We wouldn't have each other without you.

And we wouldn't have the most awesome
Christmas Party known to man!
(Even though we've had to ban children under 18 and
adults over 50... and maybe Rick,  from now on.)

And thanks...
 for letting me stay up late with you when I was little and watch Lawrence Welk from the orange rocker next to yours.

And thanks...
 for living in that house with those cool 70's beads in the bathroom.

And thanks...
 for letting us live in that cool house when ours burned to the ground. Where would have gone without you?

And thanks...
 for moving back to Grantsville 4 years ago, so my kids could cry today because they knew who you were.

And thanks...
 for eating those potatoes I cooked in mom's oven on Tuesday.
I'm glad I didn't know then you would leave us today.

And thanks...
for being my mom's friend these past 4 years, she will miss you but you left her with a healed heart.

And did I say thanks for The 37?
Oh I did...
but thanks again!

And thanks for not makin' cookies...
we never needed those anyway.
We just needed you...
 for without you we couldn't have each other.


I love you Grandma.
I hope you had a happy homecoming.

And Grandma,when we see you again...
HUGS all around
Okay?

11 comments:

lisa said...

Krista-what a sweet tribute to "Grandma Carrie." We even call her that at our house. Nathan still asks about her from 3 years ago when your mom and Grandma Carrie tended him. We were supposed to go visit last night and now I know why life just got in the way. Please let your mom know we are thinking about her and we will bring over "Grandma Bea's special surprise from Nathan later. Thanks, Lisa Geldmacher

Tina said...

Awe, Krista... You made me cry..love to your beautiful family..

Kathy said...

That was an awesome post Krista. I am so glad that she went peacefully, and you are right...we owe a lot to Grandma Carrie. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Even with her passing today, wasn't it the best day?? I've felt such "gratitude" for her and for you. How blessed we are to live close and be so close as cousins, aunts and uncles:) What a wonderful post, I'm pretty sure you were her 2nd favorite:)) You better put the computer away and get to your voice lessons, time's a tickin'

Anonymous said...

Krista, thanks for your sweet message about grandma Carrie and for just being you. You can show up in your robe anytime anywhere, I love you. Love, DeAnn

Anonymous said...

Maybe I could take Rick`s place at the cousin party :). I think she would have loved that all the family was together because of her. I love our whole family and especially Grandma Carrie. Krista I love you and I love your post.Love Morgan.

Amanda said...

I love reading all these memories about Grandma Carrie. What a wonderful family.

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

Thank you for sharing and for possessing such a gift with words. You brought a tear to my eye and I didn't even know your sweet grandma.

Kimberli said...

What a nice tribute to your grandma... sounds like she was a real sweet lady. And I'm sure she will love those big hugs. May the Lord continue to watch over your family in the next few days.

And I meant to comment on Tyson's baseball decision... congrats to all of you! I loved seeing all those photos of Omaha. What a place! We loved our time there and grew to love all those miles of corn fields too. I'm guessing you'll get to see them a few more. :) I think the people in the midwest are real friendly. I'm sure Tyson will love it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Krista for the time you spent to pay such a wonderful tribute to my mother. You never cease to amaze me. Reading your blog has always brought such joy to me and I've always missed it so much when you take a break!!!

This one has been especially awesome as I look at the pictures over and over. I miss her so much and keep looking for her on the couch and she is gone. I tags at my heart and I pray for healing to come to all of us. I know the Lord blesses us and will continue to do so but the pain is so very real. Your memories has make it bearable.
How thankful I am to call you my daughter, you'll never ever understand the extent of my love for you.

The Gately Family said...

Krista and Family~
What a wonderful tribute to your amazing grandma. Thank you for sharing your memories and love with us. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.