Background

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Don't Wish it Away

Today is a pretty big deal.  It's a ...
It's GOOD and maybe a tad bit SAD!
(only a tad)


For the past 365 days I have painstakingly put a sticker on this calendar ... counting UP to this day.  Tomorrow I will start counting DOWN!


I took this picture
1 year
7 hours
and
12 minutes 
ago!

It was the last time my baby boy slept in his bed.  I wanted to make sure I captured the moment because I knew he would never be "this" boy again.

Once he woke I knew I would be putting him on an airplane in route to the Dominican Republic.


I knew the next time he got off a plane in Salt Lake City, he would no longer be the "boy" I raised ... but he would return to me a "man" ... shaped that way in the Dominican Republic ... by the people there ... by the experiences there ... and by the spirit of our Heavenly Father.


I knew the next time he slept in that bed, he would never really need my help again ... for he would have learned that true help ... lasting help ... comes from God.


For those reasons ... I took this treasured pictured ... of a BOY ... sleeping in his bed ... one last time.




I knew all of those things would come to pass because our first born stepped off a plane one day, returning to Salt Lake City.  


It was in New York City where he became 
a MAN of God.  

It is because of Tyson that I don't wish away these days.


It is because he learned what a real team is and that it's one he wants to be on.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he came to realize what he knew and truly believed!

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he came to realize we are all children of God, no matter our circumstances.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he was able to see what absolute, real joy feels like.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he learned to serve those who are in desperate need and even those who aren't so desperate.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he learned to listen to the still small voice and follow it's promptings.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he felt the joy of being totally exhausted in the work of the Lord.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he now loves a place other than his little village and the people there love him back.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he gained another set of parents who love and care for him almost as much as I do.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because he grew to love the temple and knew it was where he wanted to marry the person he loves more than anyone else.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because of his unwavering testimony in our Heavenly Father.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


It is because those streets he walked turned him into a MAN of God.

That's the reason I don't wish these days away for Dillon.


So you see why I am only a TAD bit happy on this Hump Day.  


It means my baby boy ONLY has 365 days in a country he will love FOREVER.


It means my baby boy ONLY has 365 days to give every minute of every day to the Lord.  That will never happen again!


It means there are ONLY 365 days before that baby boy of mine walks off an airplane, returned to me, a MAN.


For those reasons
I will not wish away 
the next 365 days.

I will treasure each one for I know Dillon is doing the same.



What are you wishing away?

Are you wishing you were grown up and out on your own?

Are you wishing you were married?

Are you wishing you could have children?

Are you wishing your baby would grow out of the terrible 2's or 3's or 14's?

Are you wishing you weren't so busy running your kids here, there and everywhere?

Are you wishing you weren't an empty nester?

Are you wishing you didn't have that ailment that requires lots of doctor visits?

Are you wishing you could go back in time?


If I could say one thing to you 
on this Hump Day 
it would be to


Stop wishing you were over that 

Stop wishing your life away!

This life wasn't meant to be easy ... remember?  This life is THE TEST!  This life is where you ...


Every "HUMP" in our lives brings us closer to BECOMING the person Heavenly Father NEEDS us to be.  

Last year was a tough one for me ... lots and lots and lots of HUMPS.
I'll share just one.


I sat by this bedside almost EVERY DAY for TWO MONTHS!!  Those were hard days.  Those were emotional days.  Those were days filled with lots of tears!


They were also days filled with love.

They were days I got to spend every minute with my sweet mom.  Every morning she would say to me, "I have been waiting for you!"  I knew she had been.  I knew she needed me, my brothers and our families.


Good times?  
Heck NO!!
They were rough!


But would we give them up?
NEVER!
Because those were days filled, not only next to our mom, but next to the Spirit ... next to our Heavenly Father.

     Truly Treasured days!     


I'll never forget the day a lady came to see my mom.  She was from the hospital, offering emotional support.  She wandered around the room.  She looked at all the words YOU had written, which we had put on the walls.  She looked at all the pictures of the grandchildren and the sweet notes of encouragement each had written.  She looked at the many pictures of Christ as the hymns softly played in the background.

Then she turned to us and said, 
"I'm sorry I am lingering but there is a feeling in this room that is compelling me to stay.  It feel so peaceful here.  I've never felt this before."

It was the Spirit she was feeling.


Would I give that up?
NEVER!

Not only was my family BECOMING but because of our trial, someone else was BECOMING too.


Don't wish away the HUMPS my friends ... just look to our Heavenly Father to help you BECOME who He needs you to be as you live through them.


Looking for a way to find peace?
This might help!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Thank you♡♡