Background

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Selfie Generation

I remember when I was a young mother of two little boys.  I would often wish I could have a
HOUSE KEEPER
for there were always toys strewn all about and I was tired.


Then those little boys grew into teenage boys.  I would often wish I could have a
CHEF
for they were always hungry and I couldn't keep them full.


Then they grew up 
and left my nest.

From my new point of view I realize that messy house was a
beautiful mess
and grilled cheese sandwiches around the table were
a treasure.


If I had a wish from my Empty Nest today I would wish for a
PHOTOGRAPHER
to document every second of days gone by and every second of the days yet to come, a photographer who could capture each
precious memory.


As I pick up my phone I realize my wish is fulfilled by those 
two sons of mine
who have left the nest.
They let me be their friends on Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram were they document their precious memories.


They live in the 
"selfie generation" 
where the moments of their lives are snapped and shared and
I LOVE IT!


A photographer friend of mine told me this generation will prove to be the most photographed of any other generation 
EVER!!


They capture EVERYTHING ... 
like unsuspecting twins! 


And unsuspecting grandpa's!  I guarantee you Grandpa Hutch didn't know he was pimpin'!
"Me and grandpa straight pimpin!"


They share pics of their fathers when they were little boys! For some reason they love to call them by their first name!
"Jeffrey in his youth"


Their friends send messages to their fathers as well, although it's always sent through the son.
"Tell Jeffery I said Hello there" 


LOVE is professed
"Two things I love"


and so are deep fears!!
"#Fathers&Sons"


Sunsets seems to be super popular among the "self generation"
"Up on the T snitches"


as well as documented kissing!


Catching yourself on a security cam is also a big hit.


and so is catching people who care!
"He cares"


They like to document those awkward moments
"Awkward pic of the day..."


and also the angry one's
(step it up BYU!!)
"He is mad"


They like to sweep
"Just sweepin Bear River"


and celebrate!!
"Utah State Champion Selfie"


They like to give weather reports
"What the hail..."


and let you know what they're eating!
"Maceys doesn't mess around"


They show appreciation for gifts
"The parents know how to do Easter!"


They all seem to be appreciative and I like it!
"Rockin the new jam jams!"


It appears they generally like what they wear
"Man this is a nice shirt"


plaid seems to be a popular choice!
"New suit game"


They stand as reminders of good citizens
"I voted.  Did you?"


and reminders of good perspective!
"Best Christmas present yet! #Elderhutchins"


They say hello from their cars
"Greetings" 


and from church ... (hmmm?)
"Adult stake conference #thuggin"


I love how they aren't afraid to express themselves
"Screenshot but no reply? Lame"


and how they compliment each other.
"Kourtney England likes your photo"


It all is really quite 
wonderful!

I know Social Media has been cursed and cautioned against.  I agree we must be careful but when used the right way, it's a gift to help us remember all those moments that only happen 
ONCE IN A LIFETIME!


So BUCKLE UP and give yourself permission to
  enjoy the ride!
as your children document their lives!


Ummmm, yeah! Random pic found on Hummer's phone.
Explanation? ... Anyone? ... Anyone?


Note from the Empty Nester:
Make sure your kiddo's download those pics 
from their phones so you'll have them


No comments: