Background

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 0 ... No one fights alone!


Today is a big day in my small world ...

I say "small world" 
because my sons tell me 
I live in a bubble.
They are right and 
I'm quite comfy here.

But a little over 18 months ago
my bubble didn't feel so comfy.
In fact, I feared it would pop
as I sat in a doctors office and 
listened to my mom's diagnosis of
Multiple Myeloma
an incurable form of blood cancer.

(click HERE for that story)

I came home that night and cried myself to sleep.
No one knew I was crying 
although I suspect 
I wasn't alone.

I suspect a few of my brothers and 
perhaps some of our children
also spent that night with tear soaked pillows.

We woke up the next morning,
dried our tears,
we rolled up our sleeves, 
and went to work,
praying for a way to 
save our mother!

Our prayer led us to
The Huntsman Cancer Institute.
How blessed we feel to have them so near.

People from all over the world travel there 
searching for that hope,
that longing to know they are not alone.

We didn't know they offered such a 
Beacon of HOPE 
until we were the ones needing it.


Each patient puts a pin on 
the Myeloma board.
It's kind of like a bunch of 
little beacons
representing the hope each patient 
so desperately needs.

I suspect there are boards like this, 
for every kind of cancer treated at the Huntsman.

Thousands of patients ... 
Thousands of pins ...
Thousands of prayers ...

My mom was one of those.


I've had many tiring days 
since my mom put 
her pin on the board,
as have my six brothers, 
our spouses 
and especially 
our dad.

We've sat through countless blood tests, 
infusions and scary bone marrow biopsies.

We've strained to understand our mom's doctor.
We call him Dr. K because his name is 
just ridiculous to spell and even harder to pronounce.
He's from Europe, speaks with a heavy accent,
and saves lives.

I've heard his voice so many times 
in the past year that now I can
understand him with perfect clarity.

That heavy accent,
that used to represent fear for me, 
now represents peace and 
hope.

One year ago to this day 
my dad and I sat in a room.
It was full of tubs, needles 
and a high tech cart which 
held my mom's 
stem cells.
In the months prior 
she'd received many treatments,
including days in the hospital 
harvesting those stem cells.
It is not an easy feat
when you're needing
20 million!

But it was all worth it for the chance of
qualifying for the life saving procedure 
she was about to receive ...
A BONE MARROW 
TRANSPLANT

Two days earlier she was given a strong dose of chemo.  
She kept ice in her mouth for a solid 2 hours 
while the chemo did it's work.
The ice offered hope that perhaps 
she wouldn't acquire mouth sores. 

Thankfully the ice worked and so did the chemo!! 
Within 24 hours the cells in her body,
 both good and bad, were all dead. 

As we sat in that room,
 my mom handed out treats
to her Huntsman 
Myeloma Team.

She wanted to celebrate her 
new life!

The team knew the significance of that day
as they presented her with a birthday gift
and all sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her.

WOW!  
A brand new birthday!
April 22, 2014
would always be referred to as 
DAY 0


After the hullabaloo was finished, 
all eyes were focused on the task at hand.

The stem cells were removed 
from the high tech cart.
They were frozen solid 
to keep them alive and 
were infused into her 
when they were still "slushy".

As it entered her body ... it was truly 
miraculous!!

But the glowing light of 
witnessing a miracle was soon 
overshadowed by her 
shaking body.  

She was literally 
FREEZING 
from the inside out.  

Warm blanket after warm blanket were piled on her.  
I can't remember the exact number but 
I know it was in excess of 12 
and not a single one helped.


Her teeth chattered and her body shook 
as if she were standing in the frozen tundra, 
for surly she might as well have been but she
NEVER complained
and in the difficult days to come, 
she never would.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Krista,
You ought to write a book. You have a talent for telling a story & what a story you have told of your Mom's fight with cancer. She certainly did not fight alone. We witnessed her dear husband, family & friends fighting with her. I especially witnessed her loving daughter fighting with her every step of the way. How wonderful that your Mom is cancer free. We love her.
Love,
Bobbie