Background

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The PAINS of Halloween

So many of have expressed your love for
HALLOWEEN... I DON'T GET IT!!
To me, it is a PAIN!
Tell me that someone out there agrees!


1st ... The COSTUMES.
You know, the homemade kind that "good mothers" sew. However, NEWSFLASH, I don't sew and it PAINS me (but I don't desire to learn)!


2nd ... The TREATS.
To many, not enough, to many... you just can't ever gage it. In my opinion there ought to be some ground rules that go like this: If you go to a house one year, you must go to that house every year because they have a special treat for you and if you don't go they will have an excess of special treats that took a long time to put together plus it PAINS the "hander-outer" to not see your cute homemade costume. Oh my, sorry about that little rant. I underestimated my passion.


3rd ... The PUMPKINS.
The worst things ever invented was that kit with the special cut-outs that only look like something when you turn the lights out. You know the kind, that take HOURS to carve and require PAIN-staking precision! Oh yes, the 3 boys I live with have taken on this task. Here are some samples of their work with the crowning jewel being "Napoleon Dynamite" (picture #1).
Notice that MY pumpkin is the one with all the little holes in it. All it took was 15 minutes and the drill. No pain-staking precision involved!



I've got to admit though, once the
3 PAINS are completed... homemade costume PURCHASED, special treats packaged and
one-of-a-kind pumpkins carved... well, then
HALLOWEEN is FABULOUS!
For that is when the family shows up!







Here is a little on-line HALLOWEEN fun for the kiddies and adults, as well. Enjoy and
Happy Haunting!
http://www.brandextract.com/catbowling/
http://dedge.com/flash/hangman/
http://www.cubpack81.com/images/carve_pumpkin.swf

5 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

hehehe, you make me laugh Krista! Yes, I DO understand all the "pains" of Halloween, the only diff. with me is...I must be a masochistic freak, cause I enjoy it all in the end :)! hehehe. My mom was the sew you a costume type of gal (I, by the way AM NOT), my mom always had enough treats (I, by the way...always have WAY too much), and my mom always had us "old school" carve the pumpkins (I, by the way am a HUGE fan of the patterns..they are easier for me)...so all-in-all, it's a pain, but a fun one hehehe! Thanks for the fun read!

Anonymous said...

Oh Krista, I am so glad that there is somebody else out there like me. I am not the biggest fan of Halloween. However, I do love to have the cute treak or treators come by showing off their new costumes.

As always, I enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing and letting me "spy".

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant to sign my comment, not just by anonymous. Sorry, I'm a little slow this morning.

Rachel said...

Amen, Krista! I either use one of the nephews once-used costumes or Babies R' Us furnishes the costume. I buy a huge bag of candy at Costco and hope that it works for Trunk or Treat AND the trick-or-treaters, not to mention I try to do something a little more creative or special for the nieces and nephews (and then hope that they show up to the family party to get it). Ethan either paints his pumpkin or uses craft/sticker stuff...no carving for me until he asks for it! I don't deck my house out with Halloween stuff. One of us has to stay home while the other gets to watch Ethan trick-or-treat. I hate scary movies and teenagers that come for candy without dressing up and are snotty about it. I think we'll maybe skip Provo this year and take Ethan to G-ville!

Unknown said...

It's all too true but I don't seem to have as high of expectations of Halloween as let's say Christmas, I get more enjoyment and less stress!