Background

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Forever Strong


I've been weeping some, the past few day.

Weeping over ...




For you see, on Sunday, I witnessed a ...
I stood in the church and watched
hundreds of youth
quietly file in, to listen to
a man speak. 
The building was filled to capacity.



But instead of a pin,
we heard this man...
Larry Gelwix.

He's the man
whose life is portrayed
in the movie
Forever Strong.

It was a sight to behold.



It was a sight worthy of
weeping.




In front of a group of nearly 700
Larry Gelwix taught two


Choose what team
you're going to play for.

To put it in simple terms ...

If YOU play for Grantsville High,
you would never think of
putting on a Morgan jersey...
NEVER!
And certainly not
in the middle of a game.
Yet, The World would have us
think we can play with
one foot in Babylon and
one in the Promised Land.
The truth is, we canNOT!

It's a big lie!

To quote Coach Gelwix:
 "Put the dang jersey on and be proud
of what it represents!"
CHOOSE which team you're going to play for.



Don't play with snakes.

Snakes bite.
We know they're dangerous.
So then if we pick one up,
why are we surprised
when it bites us?
So it is with life.
Snakes... Temptations...
they are everywhere!
We know they're dangerous.
We know they'll hurt us.
And yet, we pick them up
ANYWAY.



And then why are we surprised
when life takes a wrong turn?

WRONG TURNS
are the reason for my
weeping.

The other night I heard a
real life, real serious,
SNAKE story.

In factfor me,
The Snake Story was
Someone lost their dream,
by choosing the wrong team.

Someone gave up
the good things
placed their path.

Someone's life will never
be the same.


Suddenly, it became very real, very personal ... 
what happens when you play with
and when you forget what team you're playing for.
I pray YOU will never forget.

I pray YOU will be...






4 comments:

Jo said...

Great post. I love ya pretty woman!

keysha said...

Awesome post...awesome fireside. I'm so thankful our stake was invited 'cause I'm pretty sure my son won't be forgetting that experience, EVER!

Rachel said...

This movie was inspiring. It sounds like that fireside was no less inspiring. I hate snakes SO MUCH...one of my biggest fears. If only I could avoid temptation like I do real snakes...
Thanks for this.

Unknown said...

Don't ever put a MORGAN jersey on! I think my family might be considered deserters and traitors. I will admit a little secret I have cheered for Morgan -- don't tell anyone. But I promise you that I will NEVER wear a Utah Jersey. :) Love your blog and your inspirational messages.