Background

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Disney and Sunday School

What FUN we had in Sunday School today! It was on "The Pride Cycle" ... the what? ... ummm yeah, I'm with ya! Here is a diagram of it. It's pretty self-explanatory and pretty true with how history corresponds to righteousness.

I was really struggling with how to teach the concept of this to the youth. Finally around 10:00 p.m. last night I plead with the Lord to help me. IMMEDIATE TENDER MERCY enters the picture... Disney! The Disney Characters are the perfect example of The Pride Cycle. I held up the video's in class and they could immediately realize what had brought the character down to destruction. FUN ... and shouldn't church be fun (especially Sunday School)?


We began with Woody. He was the first one that came to my mind after praying. He is the most obvious ... JEALOUSY was what caused problems for him.


Next it was Cruella Devil ...GREED. It was brought out that she was probably a Gadianton Robber (LOL).


Alice in Wonderland got lost because of CURIOSITY.


Peter Pan just refused to grow up and be RESPONSIBLE.


The thing that plagued The Lion King was GUILT.


The Beast struggled with PRIDE.


We ended with The Little Mermaid. She was a tough one for the kids to figure out. The message she sent was that SHE LEFT HER FATHER BEHIND. Much like many of us forget our Father in Heaven. The youth liked this comparison the best.



We wrapped it up by talking about protecting our HEARTS ... not allowing pride or wickedness to "take hold of them". Each of the kids carry a heart like this on their key chains. It is a reminder of many things but today we added a new one ... "Protect you Heart".

We ended with this video of my FAVORITE song ... "Come Thou Fount". I love it because it is true. Hard as we may try, we all "prone to wander". I desire so much for Father in Heaven to just "seal my heart" so I would never forget all he has done for me ... but I know that task is for me to do. I will continue to try and I know these amazing youth will too.

"Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above."

I did not make this video... but thanks to the person who did.

Also, thanks to Heavenly Father for His Spirit this day.
I am truly blessed in this calling.
I love Sunday!

5 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

How wonderful!! What a blessing it was to recieve inspiration like that! It doesn't just make sense to kids, it made total sense to me too! You are such a spectacular teacher! Hope the rest of your Sunday goes as smoothly!

Taylor said...

That is so great! I want to come to your Sunday school class! They are so lucky! Congrats on no cramps, GO PICKLE juice. confession: I drank it while I was pregnant!

Em said...

That was fabulous! What a great teacher! You constantly renew my faith! Thanks for being you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post and the reminder of how to be a better teacher myself. I too teach the youth and appreciate you sharing the inspirational experience.

You lift my thoughts! and remind me to be better prepared.

Rachel said...

Always loved your lessons...there are so many in our family who are blessed with a gift for that. Thanks for sharing the video; that's a favorite of mine, as well.