Background

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Have You Forgotten?

I will never forget that morning as a sat in my bed, terrified at the sight on my television screen. I will never forget how I wanted all the people I loved beside me so I knew they were safe.

I will never forget the first Christmas after September 11th. I will never forget the ornament we made saying: "United We Stand ... 9-11-01". It is reverently put on our tree every year.

I will never forget visiting Ground Zero almost a year later and the sacred feeling that exists there. I will never forget the silence in that place even though it is surrounded by a bustling city.

I will never forget how everyone in this country remembered our Father in Heaven. I will never forget Congress standing on the steps of the Capitol Building singing, "God Bless America".

I will never forget ... will you?




In the weeks following September 11th
I had so many feelings.
This was my only way to express them:

From the time that I was very small, I've always seen it there
The red, the white, the beautiful blue... waving in the air.

It always stood for FREEDOM, that is what I remember
Now it stands for so much more, since the 11th of September

Now it stands for HEROES, as we've all watched on TV
The many who have risked their lives to save humanity

Now it stands for GOODNESS, as we've all done our part
To help those who stand in need with a broken heart.

Now it stands for PRIORITIES, they are more clear to see
The thing that really matters, is our family.

Now it stands for UNITED, for neighbors hand in hand
For everyone who stands up for their freedom in this land.

Now it stands for CHILDREN, who have no need to fear
Because our country will be safe for them to grow up here.

Now it stand for GOD, who watches over all
And will never, in all time, allow America to fall.

And it still stands for FREEDOM, that will never change
Not by one man, or the Taliban, or by four hijacked planes.

Last it stands for me and it also stands for you
It stands for how we LOVE the red, white and the blue.

September 11, 2001 changed all our lives for good
It brought us all together, like nothing else quite could.

So may we all with thankful hearts, promise to remember
Why the flag still waves high, long after September.

-Krista Hutchins 2001

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Krista!! I don't think any of us will ever forget where we were, I was pregnant with Colby (headed to the dr. for a checkup) and I remember crying and wondering what would happen, and praying for my famlies safty. I hope you don't mind me putting that video on my blog I loved it!!

Lacey Sue said...

Oh my goodness, I am crying. So poetic, so true. We are still such a grand country. I wish people would see that more daily, not just when something horrific happens. But it takes an individual to take a stand, and I thank you for doing that!

Em said...

That is beautiful, Krista! Even though today was busy and I didn't feel like I had even a second to breathe....I did take a moment to remember where I was and how I felt as the events of 9-11 unfolded. I will never understand how there can be so much hate in the world...but that day changed my perspective as well...We have to make sure the people we love know that we love them! Not just with words but with our daily actions. We just never know when they will be taken from us. And what better place to be than in the good 'ol U.S of A! Where we enjoy freedoms that others don't have. Thanks. You are the best!