Background

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Flam-beau at Fourteen...

***If you read this previously, the misspelling have now been fixed. (I think) LOL!

Kids these days!

Around these parts, there are very few 5 star restaurants.
One of the few would be...

Let me ask you...
How many times have you been there?

Me?
I've been there ONCE.
It was in 2009, Christmas time.
Yes, a mere 2 months ago.
I am almost 40.
(Hey, don't tell anyone my age!)


Now let me ask you...
How many times do you think
Dillon's been there?
Once.
It was Monday.
He is merely 14.

Kids these days!

La Caille actually comes to the school to teach etiquette. Didn't anyone care about etiquette when we were 14 or did we already have good etiquette so we didn't need a class?
Hummmmm, you decide.
(I'm thinking the latter.)

So, once you've been in the class you have the opportunity to actually go to La Caille for a private lunch.
Dill jumped on board.
So did I.
(Because La Caille really is DELICIOUS!)

The meal began with
Escargot
(or in my words ... SNAILS)
The kids had been taught how to remove the urchin from it's shell and they were all very excited to try it.
All in all, they liked it.

Did I like it, you ask?
Hey, I'm to old to eat things I don't want.
(Remember our secret, I'm almost 40.)
The kid across the table ate mine.
(That was probably poor etiquette.)

The escargot was followed by sorbet to
"Cleanse the Palate"
(In other words, rinse that garlicky snail taste from
your mouth ... that comment was definitely poor etiquette).


Then a delicious salad.
Accompanied with delicious bread.

Followed by the entree'...
chicken or salmon.
(Are you surprised most of the kids ordered the salmon? Salmon at 14? I find this generation ODD!)

Dill and I stuck with the chepper chicken.
(Why did that "Father of the Bride" line just come out? The chicken was definitely not any "chepper" than the salmon. WOW, I'm so easily distracted.)

Next was the event they'd all been waiting for...
Bananas 99
In case you didn't know,
it's a dessert that is
lit on FIRE!

The kids could hardly contain themselves!


Each glass was individually lit.
Each glass indeed caught fire.
(And a few tablecloths. I'm not kidding.)

Now on to the TAUNTING, by the
"well educated in etiquette"
14 year olds.

I had been warned to NOT let my glass be lit because it ruins the dessert. Therefore, I kindly asked for sauce without alcohol.
(Did you hear that Facebook friends? WithOUT alcohol. I've been misunderstood.)

The 14 year olds all called me a "Poor Sport".
I explained to them ONCE AGAIN (as I had with the escargot) that I was to old to eat things I didn't want.
They repeated I was a
"Poor Sport".
(Are they deaf?)

Then THEY took one bite of their LIT ON FIRE
dessert and exclaimed...
"Mrs. Hutchins you are so SMART!"

Yes, 14 years olds,
Yes I am.

Then I slurped up my delicious dessert
while they all gagged.

I smiled.

(I'm thinking you can envision that.)



It was a Glorious day.
Glorious weather.
Glorious food.
Glorious company.



On the drive home I thanked Dillon for inviting me.
His reply?
"Well, you really invited yourself."

Geez-Louise!! Where's the love??

Kids these days!

FYI:
flam·beau (flām'bō')
-noun pl. flam·beaux (-bōz') or flam·beaus
1. A lighted torch.

You know, for the Bananas 99.
(bahahahahahahaha ... That's my evil laugh!)

5 comments:

Em said...

Going with Mackay when he was in the 8th grade was a really fun day!One I will always remember! Kids these days! How lucky!

Emily said...

Oh my goodness! I never got to do anything like that in middle school. Kids these days really are so lucky! That is so much fun that you got to go with Dillon. He will love it that you did that for him. I loved this post. It was really entertaining!

Taylor said...

I went with my french class in high school and loved it, isn't it beautiful there? Someday I will go there for real. I also remember the waitresses not dressed appropriately for middle school boys :) I am glad you and Hum had a nice time.

Anonymous said...

Well, how about 62 and never been there and probably won't.

If I have to spend a lot of money, I'd probably rather spend it twice and go to Little America brunch. I love it, and for some reason as I sit there I feel like I'm in the movie, Somewhere in Time. Don't know why.

On the other hand, I can't imagine having such an experience at Hum's age. Pretty cool. I'd like to at
least drive by. It looked beautiful.

Love Ya, Grandma Johns

keysha said...

Man..I wish Noah would have signed up for that class!! It looks so fun. You're such a great mom!