Background

Monday, April 27, 2009

Is this Prayer appropriate? ... Don't answer that question.


I usually don't
PRAY over Baseball.
Somehow I've thought The Lord wouldn't find it appropriate.
However, I've changed my mind.


Last week we played Ben Lomond.
We won... but it was sad.
The score was 29-1

Don't be mad at us.
Our team was doing everything in it's power to
stop the carnage. They were moving one base at a time and didn't advance on errors. Our fans were actually cheering when Ben Lomond made a play. We only played 5 of the 7 innings.

You may or may not have ever looked at a baseball scorebook but I have to post mine. For, I've NEVER had (or seen) a scorebook look like this (Have a ball player look at it. He'll be in shock and awe).


So after watching the boys from Ben Lomond hang in there and finish a humiliating game, I decided a little praying was in order.

I did it on my way to the game in Bear River (I like to pray in the car). I prayed that ALL the teams playing that day would play to the best of their ability.

Oh... HUGE MISTAKE!!
The poor girls on the softball field (Ranked #1 in the state) went 0-0 in extra innings! Both teams definitely had their best ability going.


And for the boys... it was the most pain-staking game I've ever sat through. EVERY player had an excellent day and only 1 error was made in the entire game. The Cowboys ended up pulling it out with a, way to tight, score of 3-0 and so did the girls.

However, I have to confess that I ended up praying all through the game. All the while, realizing that The Lord really does hear and ANSWER prayers... and why in the heck did I said that prayer in the first place.

Now we are headed to Logan.
We are playing for the
REGION
CHAMPIONSHIP.


Am I nervous?

Let me tell you how nervous I am... On Sunday, I asked all the Relief Society sisters to pray for our team (Oh, I know you are laughing! STOP IT!). Notice I said, "OUR" Team. That was probably wrong of me, wasn't it? But they didn't know the whole story! It was probably still wrong.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't think the
4 players in our ward are as nervous as I am. Jeff told me that no one spoke up and asked for any extra prayers in priesthood. Well, obviously they don't realize that The Lord watches baseball!

So, if you feel it is appropriate...
Will you pray for our team today?
Don't pray that they will WIN (I do know better than that),
just that they can play their best.

I think it's an appropriate prayer.
After all, I'm sure the folks in Logan are praying too.

(I hope they know better than to pray to win).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray for you and then I'll pray for me to make it to a game next year before he graduates!! I've only seen Lindsey play once--in Gville:) I need to do better. I had so much fun today:) I'm glad we all could go....have a wonderful day.
Love, Kari

Carol J said...

I will pray for "our" team, Krista. I've said many prayers for "our" teams having been to many games in years past as our 3 boys played in many GHS sports... and then Collin..the most passionate of all our sportsters... and I like you, am a car pray-er. Great use of time while driving. A... been there, done that mom.... and just in case this helps you... Collin's temple and time have changed.. Jordon River, the 3:20 session, dressed and in chapel by 2:50, and dinner at 6:00. So... if the game is over - come celebrate Collin's event with us and also the fact that GHS has won another one.
luv ya

Natalie said...

i don't feel like it is inappropriate at all! You have some AMAZING pictures on there! I love the one of ty in the dirt, like he had just slid in. PLEASE BLOW THAT ONE UP TO POSTER SIZE! It is FANTASTIC! You are becoming quite the photographer. I will pray for the boys!

Lacey Sue said...

Just did it...literally...just said a prayer (my very first actually for a baseball team). Don't know how potent my prayers are..or if it will do any good for "our" boys (and yes, I do consider them truly "our" boys) but I am routing for them, and I am hoping for the best. GO COWBOYS!!!

Em said...

I will send all my good thoughts northward! Good luck! Let us know as soon as you can!

Natalie Marie said...

I found some great pictures of Tyson and Marissa up here at the Transcript that the photographer took at Prom, what's your email and I'll send them over!

Rachel said...

I have a confession to make...I really (really, really) don't like sports, BUT I love our athletes, so I, too, will say a prayer in my heart for them. I've said prayers like yours before when it involves people I really care about and want to see happy. I'm a firm believer that EVERY sincere prayer is important to the Lord. You pray that they will do their best, have integrity and learn those lessons that are so important to learn. God Luck, Cowboys!

Jo said...

I am sitting at home and it is 3:21and I am a nervous wreck. I wanted to be there so bad!!!! But I have mom duty and scrapbook classes. The last thing Loren said to me before he left was pray for us, how ironic is that. I told him that I would pray that we would play our best game possible. Go Cowboys!!! I am waiting here for good news.

Taylor said...

So we have been praying all day..................we are dying to know what happened, so get a bloggin' :)

Anonymous said...

The Lord does work in mysterious ways. Thanks to everyone for your prayers. The Cowboys became Region Champions, unfortunately, not on this day but two days later when Bear River upset Logan. We do have a good group of boys and they deserve everything they are getting. Thanks for all the support. Please, KEEP PRAYING FOR THE COWBOYS.

Coach Anderson