Background

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Is that ...? Yes. Yes Sir, it is.

Just a quick question for ya....
What's in your basement?


A Family Room?

... with a cozy fireplace?
... with big soft seats?
... maybe a cool pool table?
... maybe a slick theatre?




... or a bedroom?
... maybe even a bathroom?
... maybe a great toy room?
... or even a storage room?



Well, not HERE!
As of late, we've had several service men in our basement.
They go downstairs to turn off the power, the water
or just to break things while they're doing their work.

However, no mater what they're doing down there
they all ask me the same question...
"Is that a ..."
with a roll of my eyes my answer is always the same
"Yes. Yes Sir, it is."

Last winter we finally "finished" our basement.
It was long anticipated and tediously planned out.
Not by me, but by the 3 men who live in my house.



Uncle Shaun was called in to assist because he knows what he's doing. Then the work commenced.

Twenty years ago I knew I was not marrying a carpenter or an electrician. However, it's funny what someone can turn into when they have a DREAM.

Go ahead, ask the question.
I've already answered it a million times.

Is that a ...
BATTING CAGE??!!
Yes. Yes Sir, it is.

I know, I know, you have lots of questions racing through your head. I'll just go ahead and answer them because I already know what they are.

Are you afraid your windows will get broken?
Ummm, these 2 boys already took care of that before the cage went up. But no, chainlink can stop a ball pretty darn fast.

Can you hear anything from upstairs?
If you hit "line drives" I can't. However if you prefer fly balls or homeruns, well then it sounds like a bomb just hit the house. When we have little one's over, they cry.

Doesn't that bother you?
No. I'm used to it. I've quickly realized most hits are NOT line drives. However, it has scared the visiting teachers a few times. Actually, the blaring of the ipod is worse than the hitting.

Don't you hate all those teenagers in your house all the time?
Nope! But I do feel bad for them. They don't know how to react when I say "Hi" in my PJ's. Sadly, they're not scared by it anymore. That probably should bother me.

Do you let anyone use it?
You bet we do! It shouldn't sit empty. In fact it was used for a "date night" just last weekend but not by these two (Tenille can't catch ... LOL) but by two who shall not be named. We were tickled.

Aren't you afraid of people getting hurt?
Oh, kind of. Our brother, Mark, commented that it was painful when he got one in the back at such close range. It's not my fault he didn't follow the instructions on the door saying, "Helmet required when inside the cage". I hoping that piece of paper on the door will stand up in court if anyone is ever killed.

So, you just hit in there and that's it?
Heaven's no! Dill wanted a ping pong table for Christmas. Since the basement is a batting cage there was no place to put it. The decision was (reluctantly) made that ping pong can also be played in the cage. However if you were thinking of anything else then, no, it can't be used for that.

If you had it to do over again, would you?
In a heartbeat!! It keeps my boys home. I'll do anything for that.

Can I come over?
You bet your booties you can! I'd love to see ya!!

9 comments:

The Egan 4 said...

that is so totally awesome!!! I am so jealous!!!

Amanda said...

That is too funny! When we built our new house Jason had to plan everything out so that we could have a batting cage on the property! I'm thinking more on the lines of one in a garage though. But when he sees your setup he may opt for the basement too.

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

You seriously have the most entertaining blogs. How fun would it be to put a batting cage or anything similar in your basement. I'm with you however, I would do anything to keep my kids home too, that is until they reach Young Adulthood.

Robbie and Mindy said...

That beats our basement lined with wrestling mats.

jefferies family said...

What a great idea! We may have to do that in our basement for our little softball players. I have always wanted them to go down and play in the basement, but was afraid they would break a window. Chainlink in the house... who would have thought...

Taylor said...

I have to admit... every time I am in G-ville I ask Taylor if we can fit in a batting practice. Love it!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome woman will do for her men!!!

Unknown said...

And I thought it was crazy that my parents had a batting cage in the back yard! theirs now serves my three cousins and most of the little boys in Beaver Utah -- in their back yard.

Anonymous said...

From Facebook:

Sharon Tillman Brand: Well Krista, I've been told that I could have a bowling alley or a shooting range downstairs but never....no never...a batting cage. OH MY!! :)

Krysten Taylor Egan: I think that is so totally awesome!!!! I am so jealous!!!

Mindy Anderson Palmer: Love it.

Cory Landon: I think every house should come standard with one of these in the basement.