Background

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Science Fair ... DEAD?

Brady's kids, Noah and Layni, came to check it out the caterpillar the other day. Jeff (the owner and expert) was not home. I felt brave enough to remove the dried leaves and show off the treasure... until I ACTUALLY did it! The little cocoon starting rolling and banging against the sides of it's little home. It clearly was trying to hurt us with the little tiny stinger-like thing on the end of it's body. Was afraid for my life or those of my visitors? ... No. Was I afraid of Jeff if I had, in fact, killed his pride and joy... YES! (Just kidding! I think.)

As you can see, we are still in the cocoon stage. You are able to see the outline of the wings if you look closely. If you are feeling especially brave, you can take a flashlight and see that something is moving around inside the cocoon. You can also see him breathing (we guess ... center moving up and down?). Just be careful not to upset the little guy ... it's so sad to see him get so worked up.

Jeff has been away for a few days. If this cocoon comes to life before he gets home ... there will be NO MORE Science Fair Projects! We'll keep you posted.

No comments: