Background

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Funeral Faux Pas

If you read
last August
then you know about the day
Grandma Carrie
passed away.


When I wrote that entry, I also wrote another one
but it just seemed too irreverent to post.

However, today is my Grandma's birthday.
Today feels like the right day to post it.
Because I know today she's happy.
Today I think she'd laugh.

Taken from the "Hidden Arsenal"
Originally written:  August 9, 2010

There are moments
in this life when you just
CRY.
We've have those
moments
this past week.
Like when I saw
this man...
He was a constant
when I was little
and I loved him.

But since I've grown up
he floats in and out.

I cried when he floated in yesterday.
I cried today when he floated out.
I fear I won't see him again after today.
I hope I am wrong.
I love him.
I've cried a few
other times too.
-------------------------
My mom has cried
A LOT
She deserves to.
But she'll be okay.
We'll all be okay
because we
LAUGH
just as well as we
cry

In fact,
we laugh
even when we
shouldn't like at...
funerals!



Exhibit A:
Can ya flip the tape over?
Dill had the honor of recording the services.  I shook my head ... big responsibility for my "light hearted" boy!  Grandpa assured me the bishop had taught him how to use the TAPE recorder.

Imagine my concern when he disappeared from his seat half way through the service.  I knew he was trying to flip the tape over ... but how long could it take?  5 mins... 10 mins... 15 mins... Dill?  Dill?  Dillon?  Eventually, his head popped up and he was back in his seat.

While eating lunch we inquired as to what the trouble had been.
Trouble?  No trouble.
He just decided as long as he was on the floor flipping the tape, he'd lay down for a rest.  Did I mention he was ON THE STAND?


Exhibit B:
Do you know our family tree?
Uncle Jimmy Dean.  Oh you know him?
Then you're already shaking your head, preparing for laughter.
First let me explain the family tree...
Grandpa Palmer married Grandma Carrie
They divorced
Grandpa Palmer married Grandma Doris
Grandma Carrie married Grandpa Jack
Grandpa Palmer died.
Grandma Doris married Grandpa Harry.

Okay ... Uncle Dean spoke at the funeral.  He lovingly spoke of Grandma Harry, meaning Grandpa Jack...
not a good mix-up but sufficient laughter!!
(and yes, Grandma Doris
and Grandpa Harry were there.)


Exhibit C:
We're not "huggy, kissy"...
Our dear Pres. Orgill was the concluding speaker.  He had grown up with my aunts and uncles.  Uncle Jimmy Dean was his partner in crime and Aunt Brenda was his girlfriend.

To make a long story short,
I'll just go ahead and quote Pres. Orgill now:
"The talks have been beautiful but I feel the need
to correct Jimmy Dean.  He said you were not a
huggy, kissy bunch... well obviously he never dated Brenda!!"

OH-MY-LANTA!!  I'm falling out of my chair again just thinking about it again.  Then look at the above picture I found, it's Brenda with her arm around Pres. Orgill's wife!  We love you Lois!


Exhibit D:
Can you say restraining order?
Many of you know we have a serious problem ... Tyson has a stalker, seriously.

She showed up at the viewing last night. Tyson bolted.  She searched endlessly for him and since she could not see him she decided to give it another try at the viewing this morning.  Tyson bolted.  She searched endlessly for him and since she could not see him she decided to stay for the funeral but her view was little blocked so what the heck, why not stay for ... the family luncheon.
I am soooo not even kidding!!


Exhibit E:
Krista has given birth.
Last but not least, let us backtrack to the morning Grandma passed.  Let me remind you that I RAN, literally, to my  mom's house...  I had on only a robe, no make-up, no hair combed ... just ran.  Well, one of my aunt's walked in and this is what I heard,
"Oh Krista!  You look like you've just given birth." 
Ummmm, okay. 

There are a lot of women in this family who've given birth recently but please take note... I AM NOT ONE OF THEM! 
Again, I am soooo not kidding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So you know the old saying...
Beware of
"Fashion Faux Pas"

Well when it comes to our family, beware of
Funeral Faux Pas
(If you don't want us attending your funeral, I totally understand!)

I Love You
Grandma
Happy Birthday!

... and Mom, hope your day is HAPPY! 
Grandma would want it that way.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh Krista!! Thanks for the laughs!! What a fabulous family we have! I wouldn't want to be part of any other!! And you are right, Grandma would be laughing right along with us!! Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

I'm in tears, but what a lovely tribute!!! She has been on my mind all day and I feel such love for her. She loved you much and so do I. Thanks again.

Love, mom

Taylor said...

You all put the FUN in FUNeral! laughing is the only way to get through. love you.

JeaniePalmer said...

Thanks so much for posting this and for helping us think of some fun things that happened at a hard time for our family. I've shed a lot of tears since that August day. Just loved her so much, it's hard to go on without her sweet spirit and kind gentle ways. The tears came again yesterday remembering the good times and trying to realize that she is happy with her life now.
Thanks again Krisita. This means a lot to me.

Anonymous said...

great post!! i love and miss her tons:) and I'm just wondering who the "stalker" is?

p.s. I wasn't able to
get such a close pic
with Jesse, but lucky
you did!

Kathy said...

Great Post. I didn't know about the stalker either...you'll have to fill us in.

AND...I think I can guess but I had no idea an aunt said that you to. Doesn't surprise me though. :)

Anonymous said...

Comments from Facebook:

Natalie Perkins Fawson:
Oh my gosh Krista this post was the best...We are all a bunch of crazies aren't we. I was a little disappointed that you didn't include your faux pas that day of what you said to your mom about grandmas oxygen. Maybe that one was a little too raw.... Regardless we are quite the clan. But I sure do love being part of the crazy group and love our fam dearly!


Krista Johnson Hutchins:
Maybe the Oxygen Faux Pas can come out next birthday ... mom's not laughing about that one yet!


Hillary Hawker:
Krista, I just have to say, I LOVE your blog. Its always so funny/spiritual/fun/exciting, you name it. I wish I had the will power and blogging talent that you have! Love you :)