Background

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tangled Apron Strings


Last August, I thought I'd cut the
and if not, at least they were loosely hanging.

I really believed I had pulled it off, that is until
TODAY when I woke up
to find the apron strings were all...


For today was
Opening Day
in Iowa
where the Saint lives.



And in Utah,
where we live,
it was way too
quiet.

I didn't hear any of the usual
game day shouts...
"Mom, where is my uniform?"
"Hummer, did you borrow my Under Armour?"
"Dad, will you bring my water?"



Not only did I NOT hear those things...
I didn't hear ANYTHING!
Sigh.
 (insert cricket sounds here)


However, we did hear from Ty
last night.
He was worried about making
the 6:00 a.m. bus.
He set six alarms.
So it should have been
NO problem.


Well, our Apron Strings
know Tyson all too well.
Therefore, the Lifeguard got up
at 5:45 to make sure
(4:45 Utah time)
the Saint was up.
Which he had been, for all of
5 minutes!



I guess even a Saint
needs a Lifeguard
once in a while.

Well by now, it's past game time.
We know the Saint is either
on the field or in the dugout
and even though we can't
see him, we know he is
smiling.
Because you smile when
your dreams come true and
when "Small Town Dreams" come true,
"Small Town People" smile too!


I was smiling UNTIL the tears came.
It happened when I logged onto Facebook
and read this on Tyson's page...


Ty, this is Coach.
Just wanted to wish you
luck this weekend.
Be ready at all times,
have fun and
do it the right way.


I'd be willing to bet Ty was the only one on the AU team,
maybe the only one in the country, whose
high school coach thought of him on Opening Day.



That's one reason
I live in this
small town.




The other is because...
I know you understand why our
 apron strings were tangled today.

5 comments:

Jo said...

That was a sweet post. Loren and I have been so dang excited for him today!! How did it go? Loren truely cares about these baseball boys, well and you know that Ty has an extra place in his heart.

Amanda said...

Jonesy has been checking the AU athletic's website all day to see how its going. Thinking of you all today! Best of Luck

The Jones'

JeaniePalmer said...

I should have known I'd be shedding and wiping (tears) before I was done reading this! Darn kids, they just have to go and grow up on us!

Hope all went well.

Just kid of leave the apron strings a little tusseled for a day or two!

Teresa said...

I'm cryin' with ya, Krista! I don't think the apron strings will EVER be cut completely, at least on my end!

Anonymous said...

From Facebook:

Ally Johnson:
I love when you make me cry... Not :(